The Cuyahoga Valley Art Center (CVAC) was founded in 1934, and is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization which is self-supporting through its memberships, auxiliary, class registrations, art shows, and workshops. The Center is governed by the Board of trustees which is elected each year by the membership.
Classes and workshops for beginning, intermediate and advanced students in many different media are conducted by experienced instructors, including nationally known artists. Educational opportunities are many and include children's classes and adult classes in drawing, charcoal, pastel, oil, acrylic, watercolor, mixed media, pottery, and collage.
Date Organization Formed: 11/19/1934 The Cuyahoga Valley Art Center was founded in November 19, 1934 under the name of The Arts and Craft Club. The original meeting place was on Cook Street in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio where they held their first painting class. In 1936, they became the Falls Institute and had outgrown the Cook Street location. In March 1937, they relocated to the Apollo Building on the corner of Front Street and Portage Trail. In February 1939, the Institute relocated to the Plum Building on Portage Trail. In the 1940’s, they were called The Art and Study League. They relocated to the Schoner Building and changed the name several times. In 1945, the name was changed to the Falls Civic Art Center. In 1946, the Center moved to North Front Street and changed the name to the Falls Art Center. In 1956, they incorporated and received non-profit 501 (C3) statuses. In 1959, they moved to the second floor at 1886 Front Street and changed the name one more time to the Cuyahoga Falls Art Center. Patsy Sigler was elected as the first President. For more than 35 years, the Women’s Auxiliary Board has provided essential financial support. In 1987, the Cuyahoga Valley Art Center purchased the building at 2131 Front Street in Cuyahoga Falls. In 2000, because of the organization’s growth and increased services to its members and the community, Cuyahoga Valley Art Center hired Linda Nye as their first Director.
Cuyahoga Valley Art Center, 2132 Front Street, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221 330-928-8092